(insert witty title here)

digital history blog for Jennifer Feldhaus

article discussion for tuesday

Posted by jlfeldhaus on April 7th, 2008

Blogging for your students by David Voelker

a result, I have noticed that their comments are more thoughtful and substantial than they usually are in walled-off online discussions

I completely agree with this. I’ve used blackboard as a discussion board for classes before and it’s a completely different atmosphere. It’s hard to care about what you’re actually posting when only the other people in your class are going to read it. Especially because they care equally about the contents, which, in most cases, is not at all.

On our website for historical markers we have a statistics bar that tells you how many unique visitors you have for the site. Our site has been up for only a week and we already have 200+ visitors. I think a lot harder about what I’m actually saying when I know people outside of the same 20 people that are in all of my classes are going to read it.

The main point of this article is that blogging is good because enables us to better interact with each other. Interaction leads to better learning. It presents basic information for someone that has never blogged, or had their students blog before.

James Farmer, founder of Edublogs, recently enjoined educators…

I can’t be the only on that was really distracted by that…

Doing History in the Digital Age by Barbara Weinstein

The part where she was describing how she found a citation for a book using Google in 5 seconds for a friend reminds me of a few conversations I’ve had with my grandparents. They always seem to be in awe when it takes me 10 seconds to find map directions, or restaurant phone numbers, or store hours of operation. I always want to tell them that it really isn’t magic. Sometimes I show them, and they still think it’s weird that the computer can be used for more than playing endless games of Solitare and freecell.  I guess that’s the difference when you grow up attached to a computer.

I have never really stepped back and considered how much my work process has changed over the last two decades.

This made me think about how my work process will change in the NEXT two decades…

but it does have the potential to leave us all feeling overwhelmed by the sheer volume of what’s available out there.

It is really scary to think about how much stuff is really out there, it’s also very exciting. 

would mean that fewer readers would ever hold a particular issue in their hands and browse it in a way that would lead them to read articles beyond their most immediate interests

That’s what random searches on wikipedia are for. On a more serious note, I don’t agree that reading articles online doesn’t allow you to broaden your interests.  I think I’m as likely to read an article from a journal that I don’t care about as I am to read an article on the internet that I don’t care about. Holding it in my hands doesn’t change that.  And sometimes you really have no clue what you’re looking for before you find it. This is when I’m more likely to read something that I wasn’t initially looking for, not when I have a clear idea about what I want.

One Response to “article discussion for tuesday”

1. Resveratrol Says:

Resveratrol…

Rescue inhibits Glycation (the process that breaks down collagen) and fuels cellular energy to boost collagen production in your skin, visibly reducing wrinkle depth and crow’ s feet. Snake venom research has lead to this breakthrough formulation. Sn…