(insert witty title here)

digital history blog for Jennifer Feldhaus

Reflection

Posted by jlfeldhaus on April 23rd, 2008

I chose the historical marker group because, for me, it was the project that had the clearest vision for a beginning, middle, and end. I knew right away what I was getting myself into, maybe not how much work I was going to have to do, but I knew at least what I would be doing. I do not regret my decision at all. I learned so much from this project, not only more about Fredericksburg than I ever cared to know, but how to present that information in a way that anyone could read it on the web and understand its significance.

Honestly, I did not meet all of the deadlines that our group contract specified as far as research, nor was I the only one. In the beginning, it was hard for all of us to judge exactly how long the research aspect of the project was going to take, and for my part, I did underestimate how much time it was going to take to get everything suitable to put onto the website. That being said, I did complete all of my research on the twelve markers assigned to me in enough time as to not effect the members of the group that were assigned to edit the contents and bibliographies of those pages. My late marker posts did not set back work that was to be completed by other members of the group.  Though I did not make every deadline, I made sure my group members were aware of why I did not make the deadline, and I also informed them when things were going to be posted.

Early on, we decided that myself and one other group member would handle more of the technology because we were more comfortable with that aspect. I started by making the image header for the website. Later, I formatted the text on the welcome page, added links to it, and broke parts of it into the separate ‘acknowledgments page’, and ‘other digital history projects’ pages to make it look less like a research paper and more like a website. I added, formatted, and organized the categories found on the left side bar and figured out how to make the search bar work for only our site contents. I also added links to the timeline and formatted the ‘About us’ page and edited the photo of us on that page.

As a group we did have problems with different work ethics and some group members did contribute more to the overall project than others. Other than that, I feel like the majority of us were good at communicating with each other. We had frequent email relays when there were problems or questions, and all of us were willing to have group meetings, sometimes once a week, in order to get things accomplished.

I’m extremely proud of our group as a whole and I think it turned out better than I ever expected. We put a lot of work into this project and I think that it really shows when anyone looks at our website.

 
css.php